Exploring Esher’s Historic Burn Close
In our last article we discussed the naming of Joseph Locke Way and yes, it was named for the renowned Victorian engineer. Our next road name is just a few streets away in Lower Green: Burns Terrace – locally called Burn Close.
The historic Esher Mills, with their ready access to the River Mole and the main London to Portsmouth railway line, have a long and varied manufacturing history and in the 17th and 18th centuries were an important centre for making brass wire and similar merchandise. Esher station itself has had several name changes and it originally was called “Ditton Marsh”. Similarly name changes occurred over time at the Esher Mills and by the 19th century The Royal Mills, as they were finally called (one of the largest paper mills in Surrey, employing over 200 people) were destroyed in a massive fire. After several changes of use (and fires!) the application to local Magistrates for a gunpowder manufacturing site was refused after lobbying by local residents. A big well done to the tenacity of those residents.
Finally, in 1902 the site was bought by James Burn, a book-binding company. They had 12 acres supporting the factory itself, a row of eight workers’ cottages, a gate-keeper’s lodge and a manager’s house. At the outbreak of WW2, after the Vickers aircraft factory at Brooklands was heavily bombed, Burn gave over part of their site for this aircraft use until 1946.

James Burn & Co remained in business for many years as both a bookbinder and a manufacturer of the associated machinery and, as well as cottages, they even had their own bus service for staff with their name emblazoned on the side. They advertised as, “… the manufacturer & supplier of versatile punching & binding (wire, plastic spiral, metal spiral) machines. We also manufacture a range of desktop tab cutting machines. James Burn are the originator of the genuine Wire-O double loop wire and the Wire-O double loop binding system. We sell a full range of Wire-O spools and cut lengths as well as calendar hooks and hangers.”
James Burn & Co vacated the Royal Mills at Esher many years ago as part of a general manufacturing industry exodus away from the London area. When the site was finally given over to housing, the Esher Residents Association lobbied to have both the Burn name and that of eminent local playwright R C Sherriff memorialised and in successfully doing so they have remained part of Esher history.
Thanks to, “AN ACCOUNT OF ROYAL MILLS, ESHER, 1980” by G.B. Greenwood
Simon Leifer, Chair, Esher Residents Association (ERA)
